ALES Internship Program
What is the Agricultural, Life & Environmental Sciences (ALES) Internship Program?
The Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences (ALES) Internship Program provides you with an excellent opportunity to apply the knowledge you’ve gained in your academic studies to the work place through a full time, paid 4, 8, 12 or 16 month internship experience.
Why participate in an Internship?
- Gain practical experience and expand contacts in your professional network
- Explore future employment opportunities
- Identify workplace strengths and opportunities for growth
- Develop interpersonal and professional skills
- Apply for opportunities open only to those in the ALES internship program
- Receive career development support from the U of A Career Centre
- Maintain your full-time student status throughout your work term
- Earn an income
- Get a head start in your career!
As an ALES internship student what does the program offer you?
Opportunity and experience – Apply for opportunities open only to those in the ALES Internship Program. Learn about what career environments are appealing to you, build your professional network, and gain on the job experience giving you that competitive edge for your future career.
The ALES Internship Program also offers you career development education designed to guide and support you in applying and interviewing for positions; getting the most out of your work experience; and planning next steps in your career. These opportunities help you gain the maximum benefit from your work experience and increase your employability skills as you move forward in your career
Support – You will receive:
- Notification of all internship opportunities directly to your email
- Career education opportunities offered by the U of A Career Centre
- Access to ALES Internship Program staff who can provide you with information and guidance throughout your work search and internship
- Consistent communication (e-mail, phone check-ins, and site visit) throughout your internship from your ALES Internship Program Coordinator
- Recognition of your internship on your academic transcript
What are the costs to participate?
There are no costs to join the ALES internship program, however once you’ve successfully secured an internship position you will pay tuition and non-instructional fees for one (1) work experience class per 4-month term of your placement. (Spring/Summer term *1 fee index, Fall or Winter terms *9 fee index). Throughout your placement you will maintain your full-time student status with the University of Alberta.
Visit the Registrar’s Office for more information on Work Experience Fees.
Am I Eligible?
Students wishing to apply to the program must be registered as an undergraduate student in the Faculty of ALES, have completed 36 credits(including a minimum of 12 ALES credits) and have a minimum cumulative (or on the last 30 credits) GPA of 2.7.
How do I apply?
Please click here to submit your complete internship application package.
Complete application packages must include the following:
- Cover Letter – which must clearly indicate why you want to participate in the Internship Program; why you feel you would be a good candidate for the Internship Program; how you feel the Internship Program may impact your future career goals; the career, industry or employment sector(s) that you are most interested in; and the skills that you hope to develop during your work experience. (1 page Business Format)
- A copy of your current resume
- A copy of your unofficial transcript (this can be obtained from Bear Tracks)
Suggested Application Deadlines:
- May 31 – for students interested in internships starting in September or January
- September 30 – for students interested in internships starting in January or May
- January 31 – for students interested in internships starting in May
- (NOTE: applications are accepted throughout the year however it’s recommended to apply early to avoid missing internship opportunities)
Once your application package has been received, you will be invited for an interview to discuss your entry into the program.
For further information about the program, eligibility and application instructions please contact Tonya Whelan, Work Experience Coordinator, email@example.com or by phone at 780-492-3462.