If you need someone to talk to about your career or work search, book an advising appointment. We will examine your particular situation and tailor a one-hour appointment to your immediate needs.
Please note: We do not advise on academic programs. If you require advice regarding academic programs (i.e., which program/courses to take), please contact the appropriate academic department.
Types of advising appointments:
- Career Advising
- LinkedIn Profile Critique
- Mock Interview
- Resume, CV, Cover Letter, and Application Form Critiques
- If you would like more extensive support and guidance with your career-related questions, you may be interested in career coaching.
How to book
Book your advising appointment by calling 780-492-4291 or visiting one of our three locations. If you are not able to call or visit, please fill out the applicable advising appointment request forms, and our staff will follow up with you about our services.
- Current undergraduate and graduate student, post-doc advising appointment request form
- Alumni advising appointment request form
- Your appointment can be booked to take place at our office in SUB or HUB - let us know if you have a preference. If you are not able to make it to campus during business hours we can book you for a distance consultation, which will be conducted over Adobe Connect. Please let us know your preference.
- Our advisors specialize in serving undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni and postdoctoral fellows (PDFs).
- Appointment availability differs depending on the time of year and the type of advisor you need to see.
Note that you will be asked to provide the Career Centre with specific materials in advance of your appointment, depending on the type of advising appointment (e.g. 24 hours before a resume critique, you will need to provide a copy of your existing resume). Email your materials to email@example.com 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
$25/students and recent graduates (within the last eight months), $50/others. A subsidy may apply if you are an Arts student or recent graduate. Postdoctoral Fellows are fully subsidized through the Postdoctoral Fellows Association.
Are you feeling pressured to make a career choice? Are you unsure of how to approach your search for work? Are you facing obstacles in pursuing your career or employment goals?
Using an action-based model of career management, our career advisors can help you understand how transitions and unplanned events impact your career, suggest methods to discover and test your career options and help you make sense of career information so you can formulate career decisions.
If you are searching for work, our career advisors can help you:
- Identify and overcome obstacles
- Learn new work search strategies
- Sharpen your existing work search skills.
Although we cannot tell you the specific career or occupation that’s best for you, we can suggest actions and resources that will move you towards your preferred future.
In order to help us better understand your background and experience we also ask that you send us your resume at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
Questions to prepare
When you book an appointment for career or work search advice we ask you some questions that help us tailor your appointment to your needs. The more information you can provide us, the better we can prepare.
- Which statement best describes your current status in regards to career selection?
- I don't know which career I want to pursue.
- I have some ideas about careers I want to pursue, but I am not sure which one to choose.I know the career I want to pursue but I need more information.
- Indicate what methods you have already used in your work search.
- Job postings
- Internet job boards like the Career Centre
- Resume banks such as Monster or Dice
- Networking (friends, relatives, past employers, co-workers, etc.)
- Recruitment firms and employment agencies
- Researching and contacting employers
- Online networking such as LinkedIn
- Are there any careers you are not interested in pursuing?
- Have you ever attended any of the following career related events or participated in any of the following career activities
- I've gone to a career fair
- I've taken a career test
- I've attended a career forum
- I've gone to a career counsellor
- I've talked to my program advisor
- I've gone to an employer information session
- I've interviewed someone about their career (information interview)
- I've explored graduate or professional school options
- Where do you want to work?
- It is possible that some of the career options we discover will require additional education, such as a specialized certificate, professional or graduate degree. Are you interested in hearing about options that may require additional education?
- Are there any must-haves that you want in your career? (e.g. autonomy, status, sustainable, responsibility, opportunities for promotion...)
- What do you hope to gain from this consultation?
LinkedIn Profile Critique
Get feedback on improving the existing elements of your LinkedIn profile. In addition, our advisors will suggest ways you can develop and use LinkedIn elements and tools that are suited to your occupational goals.
Our advisors can demonstrate some of the various features and tools of LinkedIn you can use to further your career research and work search.
Note: In order to deliver the highest quality service, we require the link to your LinkedIn profile at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
Our advisors will simulate an interview and provide you with valuable feedback on how to improve your interview skills. Provide us a copy of your resume/CV, cover letter and a description of the job or type of work for which you are being interviewed and we will develop targeted interview questions to make the mock interview as close to reality as possible.
Career advisors for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows (PDFs) provide mock interviews for those looking for work both in and outside of academia.
Your mock interview can be recorded and the recording can be shared with you at the end of the appointment.
Note: In order to deliver the highest quality service, we require a copy of your documents at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.
Resume, CV, Cover Letter and Application Critique
Get advice on how to make your existing resume, CV and/or cover letter
We will show you how to target these work search tools to the type of work you are seeking by offering advice on content, wording, format and presentation.
We also offers critiques of personal statements for graduate school applications, critiques of autobiographical statements for school board applications and critiques of applications forms.
Note: In order to deliver the highest quality service, we require a copy of your documents at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment. You may also supply a job posting if you would like advice on how to pursue a specific employment objective.