U of A Career Network on LinkedIn
The University of Alberta Career Network is a LinkedIn group that connects students and graduates with working professionals who can provide first-hand career information and advice. The group is facilitated by staff from the U of A Career Centre.
1. Learn about LinkedIn and professional networking
is a professional social networking site. It is similar to Facebook in that you create connections with friends and acquaintances, upload links to websites and articles, and form or join groups. You can also follow organizations that interest you, just as if you “Like” an organization’s Facebook page.
Before diving in, learn more about how to use LinkedIn to meet your professional career goals:
2. Join the University of Alberta Career Network on LinkedIn
In order to join the University of Alberta Career Network, you simply need to create a complete LinkedIn profile. Double check this LinkedIn profile checklist for students and then click to...
As you finalize your killer LinkedIn profile - including a professional photo - don't forget that there are sections specifically for students and new graduates to showcase their academic and co-curricular experiences!
3. Tap into first-hand career information and advice
The University of Alberta Career Network includes career services staff, professionals working in and outside of Edmonton, and your peers - that's a lot of expertise!
Feel free to post to all members using the discussion forum, or contact a specific individual by sending them a private message within LinkedIn.
Specifically, you can use this LinkedIn group to:
- Ask questions about the day-to-day realities of a specific job
- Request individual advice on how you can get started in a field or sector (can you connect in person for a career information interview?)
- Get feedback on your career search tools and process
- Arrange to meet in-person at an organization and see first-hand what a work environment is like
- Browse professional profiles to see the wide range of career options available to you
- Check out our upcoming events where you can practice your networking skills and ask for career advice in person.
- Browse the Career Centre's online networking resources.
- Only have a minute? Watch this short overview of career information interviewing, from California State University Northridge: