Shell Enhanced Learning Fund (SELF)
The Shell Canada Enhanced Learning Fund (SELF) provides funding for University of Alberta students to participate in experiential learning opportunities that have a focus on sustainable energy, the environment and the economy.
Types of activities eligible for funding include, but are not restricted to, field trips, conference travel and special projects and initiatives. Priority will be
given to projects related to the Oil and Gas industry.
Key criteria considered by the SELF Selection Committee are:
- Applications are complete and applicant(s) deemed to be eligible
- Quality of enhanced educational experience to be realized for the student(s)
- Promotion of each participant’s professional development
- Relevance to Shell Canada’s business operations or employees
- Potential to contribute lasting or ‘leveraged’ benefits to the community at large in understanding sustainable energy, environment and economy issues and opportunities
Note: the Selection Committee will place priority on projects related to the Oil and Gas industry, and applicants from the Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Science, and Alberta School of Business.
Students may apply as individuals or on behalf of a club, team or association.
- Students must be registered at the University of Alberta at the time of the activity. This includes full-time, part-time, undergraduate and graduate students.
- Clubs, teams or associations (CTAs) must be registered at the University of Alberta and/or be endorsed by their home Faculty/School. CTAs must provide evidence they have the administrative capacity to manage funds.
Priority will be given to applicants from the Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Science, and Alberta School of Business.
Date of Activity
January 1 to June 30
October 15, 11:59 p.m.
July 1 to December 31
April 15, 11:59 p.m.
You must apply before the activity has occurred.
Funding is provided by Shell Canada. Approximately $100,000 is available per year.
Limits for each application are at the discretion of the Selection Committee and shall not exceed the total cost of the activity. Larger requests (e.g. $2500 for an individual; $10,000 for a group) are welcomed and encouraged.
How to apply
Review the application process for additional details.