Shell Enhanced Learning Fund (SELF)
The Shell Canada Enhanced Learning Fund (SELF) provides funding for University of Alberta students to participate in experiential learning opportunities that have a focus on sustainable energy, the environment and the economy.
Types of activities eligible for funding include, but are not restricted to, field trips, conference travel and special projects and initiatives. Priority will be
given to projects related to the Oil and Gas industry.
Key criteria considered by the SELF Selection Committee are:
- Applications are complete and applicant(s) deemed to be eligible
- Quality of enhanced educational experience to be realized for the student(s)
- Promotion of each participant’s professional development
- Relevance to Shell Canada’s business operations or employees
- Potential to contribute lasting or ‘leveraged’ benefits to the community at large in understanding sustainable energy, environment and economy issues and opportunities
Note: the Selection Committee will place priority on projects related to the Oil and Gas industry, and applicants from the Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Science, and Alberta School of Business.
Please review the SELF terms of reference for further details.
Students may apply as individuals or on behalf of a club, team or association.
- Students must be registered at the University of Alberta at the time of the activity. This includes full-time, part-time, undergraduate and graduate students.
- Clubs, teams or associations (CTAs) must be registered at the University of Alberta and/or be endorsed by their home Faculty/School. CTAs must provide evidence they have the administrative capacity to manage funds.
Priority will be given to applicants from the Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Science, and Alberta School of Business.
Funding is provided by Shell Canada.
How to apply
We are not currently accepting applications for SELF.
Reports and Reimbursements
To arrange reimbursement:
- Submit your SELF Final Report online. It includes a financial accounting for SELF monies and reflection on the benefits and outcomes of the activity. This is due within 20 days of completion of the activity.
- Individuals: Once you submit your report, schedule and attend a reimbursement appointment. Bring your original, itemized receipts for each expense (and boarding passes, if flights were involved).
- Groups: Your report must include a list of your group members and a budget accounting for how the SELF funds were used. Please use the following templates:
Rules for receipts and expenses:
- If a receipt is in foreign currency, you will need to provide your bank/credit card statement for proof of conversion rate. Otherwise we will use the OANDA currency conversion site.
- Only those expenses which were approved for funding in the original budget and for which original receipts are provided will be reimbursed. Your reimbursed expenses cannot exceed the amount you were originally approved for in your budget.
- Proof of payment is required for all expenses (i.e. original receipt, bank/credit card statement, e-transfer confirmation). Lost receipts will not be reimbursed.
- If a third party (i.e. department, student group, etc.) has paid for an expense on your behalf, documentation will be required to provide you have paid them for this expense. This supporting documentation may include, but is not limited to an official receipt, bank/credit card statement or e-transfer confirmation.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org